10 top tips for candle safety
- Make sure that candles are used in a fire-resistant candle holder.
- Keep candles away from furniture and curtains. Don’t put them under shelves or in enclosed spaces.
- Leave at least 10cm between burning candles and tea lights.
- Always put out candles before leaving the room and before you go to bed. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Use a snuffer or spoon to put out candles. Blowing them out can send sparks and hot wax flying.
- Never use candles in, or near a tent.
- Don’t move a candle while it’s lit.
- Keep candles, matches and lighters away from children and pets.
- Be mindful of these safety measures when also using joss sticks and oil and incense burners.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms in your home.
What to do if there’s a fire
- Get out of the building, closing any doors behind you.
- Stay out of the building.
- Call 999 and ask for the fire service.